Sunday, July 15, 2012

Backpack Plantpress

I've been plant collecting for a long time now, mainly just flowers that I've pressed and dried to use for cards and crafts. I've been wanting to take my collecting to the next level and start my own, proper, herbarium collection. Using books to press plants just wasn't good enough anymore, so I went out and bought the supplies to make my own plant press: 

-sheets of flat light-weight wood
-webbing for straps
-buckles
-cardboard
-old backpack
-staple gun
-staples

I bought enough supplies to make one 1 ft x 1.5 ft press, and a 1ft x 2.5 ft press for longer plants like grasses. 

I ride my bike most places and I thought that it'd be hard to carry a plant press with me because I don't have racks or a basket on my bike so I got an old back pack and cut the straps off to staple to the back of my press, and it worked perfectly!
The backpack straps are adjustable and one side has a pocket on it as well.  





 
 The longer press is a bit heavy and awkward for taking far distances or on long hikes, but I think it'll be useful for pressing tall plants instead of having to bend stems. I can't wait to get out and start collecting and identifying some plants! To bad today it's really rainy and wet.