Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tinier Island & Internal Explosions

     I didn't think I was much of a city girl until I came to Denman, how the farmland has humbled me. A new friend asked if I could take care of his chickens, and feed their horses for them while they were away. My task was to lock the chickens in their coop in the evening so the mink wouldn't get them, and then feed the horses in the morning. Easy enough right? Well I thought I could just herd the chickens into their wooden house, but they would not cooperate, and I am sure I looked rather silly half scared of my new feather friends, chasing them around the pen. Luckily I had a real farm boy with me who promptly got all the chickens tucked in bed. Lost some points there. Feeding the horses went well, and I got to drive a big work truck around (my wife would be proud), and in the end the job was done (with some help).   

     I took over the position of retreat manager while mum was in Nanaimo, and opened a new, rather large, retreat having to get 24 people organized. It was abit stressful but turns out I am an alright manager, and now mums back and I get to relax.

     I had my first visit to Hornby Island last night, an even smaller gulf island just East of Denman. I went over in the evening with a friend and we went to this show that was happening at the "ball park" which turned out to be rather messy. I have heard of Hornby parties and it was all a bit overwhelming for me seeing as I have been camping at a silent retreat center for just about the last three weeks. Too many drunk people, too many high people, and I didn't really know anyone so I was a bit nervous, shy, and uncomfortable to start with, but i decided to make the best of it and ended up having a pretty good time. But I don't think I would go to such an event again. I'll  save Hornby for the sandy beaches.
   I did however end of going right back to Hornby this afternoon  with mum and some of her friends.  We went to an art opening on this huge grassland property where the owner's (Jeffory Rubinoff) giant metal sculptures were scatter among the meadows. It was a interesting setting walking through the open fields in the sun and stopping at the numerous iron and stainless steel giants. Some were chemically weather and rusted, others being biologically take over by lichens, moss, and bird poop, and few that had yet to show the effects of mother nature. There was an amazing four piece quartet that performed Beethoven's Opus 131 in C-Sharp, it was absolutely brilliant. Breath taking.  We sat and watched from a grassy hill,  as the musicians played their instruments with their entire bodies, and I mean entire bodies. Their energy flowed from their toes, and ear lobes, and finger nails, to the tips of their nose. I kept thinking they were going to leap right form their seats and burst in flames from the emotion being exerted by each individual cell. So easy was it to submerge myself fully into the atmosphere, it moved me.

     On another note I really want to go back to Tofino sooooooooooon please and thank you


_________________________________________________



     I am missing my dear wifey enormously. I feel space in me that is empty. It's empty of laughter. Empty of the biggest, loudest laughs I have ever laughed.
Empty of Kim's contagious laughs that just fill your mouth until it overflows from laughter, and there are laughs all over the floor, so many that they can not be cleared, and they rise so quickly you become submerged in a pool of laughs. You drown in laughs. Every orifice in your body is filled with laughs. You explode with laughter, and die a most joyful death.

I miss you.