Thursday, August 18, 2011

Trash Talk

Back when I was visiting Victoria, I made a stop at the beach in front of the Ross Bay Cemetery. It's a nice beach, once you get past the ways in which it's been anthropogentically modified. The gravel that has been brought in to fill the coastline just doesn't quite look right to me. But something else I noticed not looking quite right was the amount of garbage I found on shore, and floating in the water. Walking only about 20m along the beach I managed to fill my arms with plastic, foil, and a rubber glove.
The photo is of the garbage found within the seaweed, sticks, and beached jellyfish. I was shocked at how much garbage I found in such a short amount of time and distance along the beach. I didn't intentionally go to the beach to pick up debris, but as I saw one piece after another, the little time I had turned into a bit of a cleanup. 

Part of me is a bit naive to think that no one intentionally litters these days, and this mess is of accidental deposit. The other part though knows that all of this could not be the outcome of accident, but rather negligence.

I am one to pick up garbage if I come across it, and see it as our responsibility to do so. If  garbage is public property then we (you and me), as members of the public, are the owners of all the garbage stuck to the city streets, under the forest canopy, and floating in the ocean. Therefore we have a responsibility to pick up not only after ourselves but each other, because it all belongs to all of us, and we cannot be ignorant of that.

I encourage those who read this to adopt this way of thinking of garbage and to pick litter up when you come across it as if it were your own, because it is. 

My mum always used to tell me not to take shells from beaches, beacause if everyone took them, there wouldn't be any left for people to enjoy. If we apply this to litter, and everyone picked up one piece of garbage a day, would there be any left on the streets? In our parks? On our beaches?