Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Uncharted Territory

     I spent part of the afternoon with a dear friend of mine, who I haven't seen in a while. We caught up over decaffeinated chai tea in my petite kitchen. "What's new?" was asked of me and well, dating is a new activity I have been engaging in. So, being a single 21 year old lady, I shared some of my recent dates, and the discussion of the "first date" unfolded. Where does one go on a first date? For dinner? Lunch? Coffee? Who pays? Should I expect him to pay? Is he expecting, that I'm expecting him to pay? If we split the bill does that mean he's not into me? How long do I stay? What do I do if it isn't going well? What if it is going well?
     So many questions, and I have no answers. It was somewhat comforting though to know that my single 21 year old male friend also didn't have answers to these questions and that we are all lost in this awkward fun world of dating.   

     I started thinking on my own, of what a 'perfect' date would be to me. Not necessarily a first date, but just a date in general.
-I enjoy simple things like making dinner opposed to going out, and staying in and playing Scrabble, chess, or any other board game really, the two former being favourites.
-In the summer, with warm weather, I love picnics outside by the ocean or in a field somewhere. With cheese, fruit and wine. Maybe read some poetry aloud (something I enjoy doing when home alone).
-Being in the forest for any reason is ALWAYS a sure way to make me the happiest.
-I also LOVE going to the museum and IMAX movies, or the classic dinner and a movie is always nice, although rather expensive.

     The dating world is so odd to me. I have never really been in this position before in my life. It makes me feel old, and similar to characters in Hollywood movies about the middle aged women who live by themselves and have no luck with love. I am however not middle aged, in a Hollywood movie, or really looking for "love" . I not looking for anything, I'm just letting it happen and seeing where that takes me; 'it' being life that is.